Friday 10 August 2012

Broccoli Beliefs

In an attempt to get some actual work done at the office, I have been trying to pack healthy and filling lunches to bring with me each day. It is always difficult for me to stay focused and on track with my research during the summer months, and this year the extra distractions of being in a new country have made it nearly impossible. My hope is that by rewarding myself with delicious lunches, I will be able to persuade myself to stay in the office a little bit longer each day, and hopefully get a more accomplished.

Well, to be honest, it's not working so well. I have nobody to blame but myself, and well, maybe the sunshine. It is time to pull out the big guns.


For some reason, I have always believed that broccoli can cure all evils. Broccoli has magical powers, and can always be depended on in a time of need. So much so, that when I felt myself getting sick right before exams last year, my first response was to run to the grocery store and buy a 2 kg bag of broccoli florets. Seriously, it is my saviour. 

Feeling a cold coming on? Broccoli.

Have no energy? Broccoli.

Can't concentrate? Broccoli.

Don't understand a single word of the paper your supervisor asked you to read? Broccoli. (Hey, it's worth a try!)

So, putting this all together, I give you, my bring-to-work broccoli salad. 

Depending on your own personal broccoli beliefs, this salad can be made with either raw or lightly steamed broccoli. I've tried it both way, and I have to say I prefer it steamed. Also, feel free to use your favourite type of lentils (or whatever you happen to have on hand). I like french lentils because they hold their shape well when cooked. 



Broccoli, Lentil & Rice salad

The dressing recipe is adapted from Kathy's wonderful sweet tahini dressing at Healthy Happy Life.

salad:
1 large head broccoli*
1 can french lentils (or 1 1/2 cups cooked french lentils)
2 cups cooked whole grain brown rice

dressing:
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
sea salt, to taste

Chop broccoli into small pieces, including stem (peel first if tough). If desired, steam broccoli pieces just until vibrant green, and then chill in the refrigerator. 

In a large bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk until well-combined. Add broccoli, lentils, and rice to the bowl; toss to coat and refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.

Pack up a container of salad, bring it to the office, and have a productive day!


Do you believe in the magical powers of broccoli? 

2 comments:

  1. Yes I do :) I changed to a vegan diet about 3 months ago and so excited to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for broccoli! I am so happy you discovered the wonderful world of veganism! I hope you are having as much fun learning and exploring as I am. Isn't it fun?

      Delete