Tuesday 24 July 2012

Crepe Creations

When I was growing up, every summer my mother would take us to the berry farm to spend the morning picking (or in my case, eating) fresh strawberries in the sunshine. When we got home, she would fire up the stove and we would spend the rest of the day eating our precious little jewels served over crepes with whipped cream. 



While pancakes are still by far my favourite breakfast food, and were a staple in our house growing up, I believe there is a time and place for crepes as well. Perhaps it is due to these memories of strawberry-picking, but I feel that nothing showcases a batch of ripe, freshly-picked fruit quite like crepes.



So, when I came home from the market this weekend with a basket of local red currants (Johanesbeeren) and a bag of ripe nectarines, it seemed the perfect time to try my hand at making some crepes. Of course this time they are vegan crepes, and are smothered in soy yogurt instead of whipped cream, but it definitely had the same effect. 



Sorry pancakes, but you may be seeing a little less of me until the farmer's market closes!

Blank Slate Crepes

makes 1 giant serving

3/4 cup soymilk or almond milk
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

1/2 cup whole grain spelt flour
1/4 tsp baking powder (1/2 tsp if using German Backpulver)
1/8 tsp salt

Warm soymilk until at least room temperature (this will stop the coconut oil from clumping). Add maple syrup and coconut oil and whisk until frothy. In a seperate bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture and whisk until smooth.

Heat a large skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. When hot, pour in about 1/4 cup of batter and swirl the pan to spread evenly. When bubbles appear throughout the crepe and it releases from the pan, flip with a spatula and let cook for another 30 seconds or so. Transfer crepe to a large plate and roll up. Repeat with remaining batter.

Top crepe rolls with soy yogurt and fruit and enjoy immediately. 



For the crepes here, I used lime soy yogurt, which is one of my new-to-me German obsessions, but plain or vanilla would work equally well.



No comments:

Post a Comment