Friday 20 July 2012

Green Melon Frosty

It's been about a year since I first discovered the glory of green smoothies through the Green Monster Movement, and I haven't looked back since.



Living in Germany this summer has given me the chance to explore a whole new world of fruits and vegetables. Every week I stroll through the farmer's market, drooling over all of its brightly-coloured offerings. I've tried many new-to-me things, such as red currants (Johannesbeeren) and mâche (feldsalat), but I've also noticed that there are some familiar items that somehow just seem to taste better here! The one that really stands out to me is the melon. I've never been a big fan of watermelon, and I have to admit that I usually avoid cantaloupe at all costs, but oh my how things have changed!

In order to celebrate my new-found love of all things melon, I've switched up the classic creamy green smoothie for a crisp, refreshing green melon frosty. The recipe here calls for honeydew melon, but I've tried it with canary melon and futuro melon as well, and all were equally delicious.



Green Melon Frosty

makes 2 servings

2 cups honeydew melon chunks, frozen
1/2 cup tightly packed baby spinach, frozen
1/2 ripe banana, frozen (optional, for sweetness and creaminess)
2 tbsp vegan protein powder (also optional, I use vanilla)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 cup almond milk, divided

Reserve 1/2 cup almond milk, and blend all other ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Add in remaining almond milk until desired consistency is achieved. Serve immediately.


2 comments:

  1. Das sieht richtig lecker aus!

    I'll try this sometime soon after I pick up some melons!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete